CEGAA’s significant hands-on experience and solid multi-sectoral partnerships across Southern and East Africa enable us to generate evidence of, and potential solutions to, the fiscal and administrative challenges faced by many African countries in their efforts to strengthen health systems and responses to HIV/AIDS and TB.
We achieve this through analysis of the international and national macro-economic frameworks and finance policies that influence and limit resources for social sector investment, human capital and infrastructural development in African countries.
CEGAA’s dynamic team of health and development economists and public health financing experts focuses on:
- strengthening and supporting the efforts of all levels of government to improve management skills, transparency and accountability for health and HIV/AIDS financing, and
- building the capacity of civil society to monitor and advocate for sound and inclusive budget processes, allocations and expenditures in health and HIV/AIDS.
Our research services include:
|CEGAA Programme Manager Nhlanhla Ndlovu presents budget monitoring evidence to stakeholders.
- Situational analyses
- Needs assessments
- Community budget and service monitoring surveys
- Cost and budget estimations
- Financial systems reviews
- Expenditure tracking
We also develop and execute:
- enhanced technical assistance
- participatory capacity-building, and
- evidence-based advocacy programmes for a range of stakeholders.
CEGAA’s work contributes to the full and active involvement of citizens, civil society representatives, research agencies, parliamentarians and local government authorities in fiscal policy and economic governance issues, which are vital for the acquisition, utilisation and management of limited resources for HIV/AIDS and TB programmes and health in general.
We assist government ministries and National AIDS Councils at key points in the financial planning cycle: costing, budget creation and execution, tracking of spending and outputs, refining financial systems, and improving performance-based financial operations.